My Family

My Family

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Breakfast Anyone?

Here are a couple of my favorite recipes.

GERMAN PANCAKES

1/4 c. butter
1 c. flour
1 c. milk
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a medium baking dish.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, milk, eggs, and salt.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Bake on the center rack in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.

(We double this for our family and there are NEVER leftovers. I actually cook it in a roasting pan larger than a 9x13in pan. It is a very bubbly, yummy, hands-down favorite in this home.)


This is a recipe my sister gave to me after introducing me to the most addictive muffins I've ever eaten. Funny, cause they are actually pretty healthy. They just taste GOOD.

OVERNIGHT OATMEAL MUFFINS

1 c. regular oats
2 c. low fat buttermilk (or non-fat milk with 2 squeezes of lemon)
1 2/3 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 c. dark brown sugar, packed
2 T. light olive oil
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1. tsp salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten (or 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
2/3 c. dried blueberries (or milled flax seed)

Combine oats and buttermilk in a medium bowl.
Cover and refrigerate overnight (few hours at least).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups, level with a knife.
Place buttermilk mixture, flour, and next 6 ingredients (flour through eggs) in a large bowl.
Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth.
Fold in blueberries (or other fruit). (My sister just used the flax seed and no fruit).
Spoon a 1/4 c. batter into each of 18-20 muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until muffins spring back in the center.
Remove muffins from pans immediately. Place on wire rack to cool.

My husband said these taste just like "Quick brown bread". If you grew up with that, you'll know what that means!

Happy Cooking!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The muffins were a hit at our house. My pickiest eater ate 3.