My Family

My Family

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Miracles


There they are, all 6 of them.
Did you know I wasn't supposed to be able to have children?
What does medical science know anyway?
.
.
.
When I had been married for about 8 months, I had a miscarriage. I was about 12 weeks along, and I ended up in the ER, bleeding A LOT. At that point I was diagnosed with endometreosis, "the worst case I have ever seen", my doctor said. Two weeks later, I had a laporotomy (serious surgery similar to a c-section without slicing the uterus open), and then started on Lupron, a hormone (should that be AN hormone?) that stops your body from producing hormones and allows you to experience menopause (because it really does stop your cycle and creates the same issues menopausal women go through!). When I had taken Lupron for 3 months, and waited for 3 months for it to clear my system, my doctor said, "IF you EVER do get pregnant, have your children quickly and close together". (he he...like we needed permission to try!)
.
.
.
That was in 1994.
Stephen was born in 1995.
Emily in 1997.
Nathan in 1999.
Thomas in 2000.
Rebekah in 2002.
Samuel in 2005.
.
.
.
I think we listened to my doctor! I know that this isn't the "normal" outcome for a woman who has faced infertility, but I remember the devastation of being told I would never have kids. I am so grateful for these 6 miracles in my life.

2 comments:

Papa J said...

Don't forget the miracle of your relativly good health. The doctor said a case as bad as yours could have easily left you crippled for life.

Papa J said...

I'm greatful for the miracle of a Mom you've become too.