My Family

My Family

Monday, July 17, 2006

Biting the bullet

So, I did it.
Today, I entered a writing contest.
The last time I did that, I was in high school.
The topic was "some aspect of life in Southwest New Mexico."
(Note: New Mexico's motto is "The Land of Enchantment").

Here is my entry:

MY HOME

It’s not the residence,

Or the physical trappings surrounding me,

It’s deeper,

More complete.

.

It’s found in sincere smiles,

In warm embraces,

In simple sincerity,

In open hearts.

.

It’s in star-studded skies above,

In juniper and pine after the rain.

In summer monsoons and

In winter snow.

.

This feeling,

the feeling that this is home,

permeates everything.

Growing,

Shifting,

Strengthening.

.

Southwestern New Mexico.

The home of my heart.

Truly, unequivocally,

The land of enchantment.

No comments: