My Family

My Family

Monday, July 17, 2006

Biting the bullet

So, I did it.
Today, I entered a writing contest.
The last time I did that, I was in high school.
The topic was "some aspect of life in Southwest New Mexico."
(Note: New Mexico's motto is "The Land of Enchantment").

Here is my entry:

MY HOME
It’s not the residence,
Or the physical trappings surrounding me,
It’s deeper,
More complete.

It’s found in sincere smiles,
In warm embraces,
In simple sincerity,
In open hearts.

It’s in star-studded skies above,
In juniper and pine after the rain.
In summer monsoons and
In winter snow.

This feeling,
the feeling that this is home,
permeates everything.
Growing,
Shifting,
Strengthening.

Southwestern New Mexico.
The home of my heart.
Truly, unequivocally,
The land of enchantment.

No comments: