My Family

My Family

Friday, February 03, 2023

My Life’s Mantra

 I couldn’t tell you exactly when I added it to my email signature…(which led me down a LLOOOONNNNGGG rabbit hole).  I found it for the first time on an email dated 7-5-2012. Prior to that point my signature had read “Making the world a little brighter in our neck of the woods”, which was appropriate because we actually lived in the woods in New Mexico.  I think I was looking for something shorter and more succinct after our move to Arizona.  Something I could say easily and that I could teach my children to live.  

The result: Do Good. Be Kind. was added to the end of every email communication I sent out.  And it began to change me.  It made me stop and pause before I made a decision, a comment, a judgement.  And that pause often allowed time for a change in my attitude and perspective.  

My kids would all tell you it’s what I say most, but I hope they would also tell you that it’s what I live even more.  

That’s the purpose of a life’s mantra. 

No comments: