My Family

My Family

Saturday, February 11, 2023

Filling My Cup

Book club fills my cup.  It’s been the majority of my adult life that I’ve been a part of a book club.  When I was first married, I attended sporadically.  Whether that was due to scheduling conflicts or non-interest in the books on my part, I’m not sure.  

Some of my favorite memories of people in Silver City are tied to the book club we had there.  It was there that I really discovered the joy of sharing intellectual conversation based on something we had collectively read.  

There were a few years here in San Tan Valley book club wasn’t even on my radar.  When a new neighbor mentioned she didn’t want to drive into Gilbert monthly anymore and asked if anyone would be interested in a local book club, I jumped in with both feet.  After sending texts out to 6 of my friends, we had created our book club.  

We’ve now existed for 7 years.  Our book choices have been greatly varied, and our conversations have been as well. I’ve read books I never would have chosen, really disliked some of them, and found others that have come to change my perspective wholly about things.  

Perhaps my favorite part of book club is having truly intellectual conversations with other women.  Delving into uncomfortable topics and truly listening to other people’s perspectives has stretched me as a person.  I’m a better person because of the people I have been blessed to associate with in book club.  

It’s a night each month that truly fills my cup.  



No comments: