My Family

My Family

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Missing Sunday

I wasn't anxious to miss church today.
Lucy has had a fever since Thursday...low grade, nothing seemingly serious...but enough to make me feel guilt-ridden for debating giving her ibuprofen and taking her to church anyway.
When her temperature once again registered, (at 99.8 degrees), the decision was made.
Bam-Bam stayed home with us...simply because it was naptime and he usually sleeps through the majority of nursery anyway.
As soon as P and the 4 oldest kids headed out the door, Lucy, Bam and I hit the bed.
I wasn't going to sleep...after all, although my back had been hurting all morning and radiating pain up into my head, I was NOT going to squander my 2 hours of pure solitude (and besides, I had snuck in a quick nap during the boys morning shower!).
That was at 1pm.
I was awake until 1:15pm, when the even breathing of my children next to me lulled me into my second nap of the day.
I woke up after about 30 minutes, and debated for a few minutes as to what I wanted to do.
I chose to sit down and make some cards, trying to focus on peace and reconnecting with myself.
While I did quite a bit, about 3pm, I found I was sweaty and a bit shaky...with a headache creeping back despite the 1 tylenol I had taken earlier.
Lucy and Bam woke up about 3:15pm, and I put in a movie and put my feet up in the recliner and put my head back.
I decided I have a little bit of a "bug" too.
P and the kids got home about 4:30pm, and at that point, I had to lay down.
I hate to reclude myself to the "sick room" and feel forgotten, so I made myself a bed on the couch and stretched all of the way out.
It wasn't too long before I was completely asleep again.
3 naps, within about 5 hours of each other...and that was on top of an excellent night's sleep.
It's not a bad illness...just aching and weakness and a semi-persistent headache.
It could be worse....
My biggest complaint is that Sunday, despite my best efforts, still felt quite a bit like every other day...and I like it to be different, special, and set-apart from the rest of the week.
I often say that I need Sunday to "refill my bucket" and give me the spiritual strength I need to get through the week ahead.
I know I can find that to some extent on my own, but for now, just let me miss Sunday.
It's just not the same...

2 comments:

SalGal said...

I know what you mean about it not being the same. I've often volunteered to stay home with the sickos, but now I find myself asking B if he wouldn't mind staying home with them. I must be a grownup now because I actually look forward to going to church and miss it very much when I can't or don't go.

I hope you are feeling well soon!

Kari said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon! Rest is good for you, afterall 6 kids and pregnancy
can take something out of a Momma!!