My Family

My Family

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas Hoopla:  Random bits of info.


1. Once I got a super killer deal on a larger TV on-line and I didn't know where I could hide it from my husband. I put it in the laundry room and put a blanket over it and draped the dirty clothes over and around it. He never came near it. Surprise!

2. Our first several Christmases married, I would wake up while it was still dark outside and try to wake my husband to go open gifts. He was not impressed or persuaded.

3. I like Christmas shopping in December with all the music and lights and even the crowds.

4. Some of my favorite gifts are the meats/cheese/crackers packages. YUM!

5. I'm a sucker for shiny wrapping papers and ribbons and bows.

6. I want to get a gorgeous nativity and do fun Christmas traditions with the kids. But nativity scenes are expensive and the beautiful ones are not kid friendly. I can't even keep the tree decorated...

7. We bought a new Christmas tree this year and some nice ornaments to go on it. (We have a smaller tree in the family room that the old ornaments can go on.) But Isaac and Sam have picked off all the decorations and mashed them so the tree is mostly naked now.

8. We've never had that problem before.

9. I knew one family who had that problem and so they put their tree up surrounded by a playpen. I really like that idea, but we don't own a playpen and I can't imagine buying one for that purpose.

10. I get tired of hearing the same old catch phrases again again. "Jesus is the reason for the season." "Don't forget the true meaning of Christmas." No one ever SAYS what the true meaning of Christmas is. Just don't forget it. Unless in a select context, I find these phrases offensive because it presumes that somehow during Christmas we lose sight of the Savior. But in our family we continue with scriptures and prayer and service and studying the gospel just like we do the other 11 months of the year. Just because Santa comes to visit and we have gifts and holiday traditions doesn't take diminish our daily focus on Christ.

11. My favorite Christmas story is "A Christmas Carol." I like all the movie versions of it, but have never actually read the book. Nor do I listen while my husband reads it to our kids each night in December.

12. My favorite Christmas Carol is "O Holy Night".  I like to sing along with all the different versions on the radio (even the ones in higher keys than I'm usually comfortable with).

No comments: